Standard flat rate expense allowances are set by Revenue for various classes of employee, for example, shop workers are granted flat rate expenses of €121 per year and bar trade employees get €97 per annum. Nurses who supply and launder their own uniforms can claim a deduction of €733.
Those working in PR in Ireland are entitled to Flat Rate Expenses back up to €381 per year. You don’t automatically get the flat rate expense tax deduction; you have to claim it. Once you confirm you are in a type of qualifying employment you can get it and you can go back four years for your refund.
- Go onto PAYE anytime. https://www.ros.ie/myaccount-web (You’ll need your PPSN, your date of birth and your Revenue password)
- Under the PAYE services tab click: (Review your tax 2013-2016 (Form 12 or End of year statement (P21))
- For 2016, click the “Submit” button on the Form 12 row
- On the next page click the “Continue” button
- Ensure all your details are correct on the Personal Details then click “Continue”
- Click “Continue” on the PAYE income page
- Click “Continue” on the Non-PAYE income page
- The Tax Credits & Reliefs page is where you have the option
- In the “Flat Rate Expenses” tab press the pencil icon to edit your credit
- Under the “Industry or Employment Category” drop down menu select: “Journalism”
- Under the “Profession” drop down menu select: “Journalist (including P.R. journalists)”
- Press the “Update” button
- Then tick all the boxes and press the “Continue” button at the bottom of the “Flat Rate Expenses” tab
- On the final tab click the declaration box and press “Continue”
- Repeat the above process for all years you have been working in the industry.
Spend it well!